Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Joined For Life / Abigail and Brittany Hensel

Abigail and Brittany, artist and veterinarian, conjoined twins portrait
Click above to view larger image. Largest.


Portrait in progress.

Chris and I went to Punch Pizza for lunch late Tuesday afternoon, and on the way home stopped at a large and on this day very quiet shopping mall, one we don't normally frequent, so that Chris could find a particular hair conditioner. We rode up the escalator of a department store, and as we arrived on the second floor I had a strong impression of a cartoon I'm working on which shows Faith completely engrossed in reading her bible as she rides a similar escalator, oblivious to the world around her. When she arrives at the landing she continues to rise into the air, much to Timothy A. Bear's surprise.
Chris and I exited the escalator, neither one of us flying into the air, and we stopped to guess in which direction the hair salon might be. I thought it might be in one corner of the store, but Chris was certain it would be in the other. For some reason I decided it was important that I follow her lead, and on the way to the salon noticed two young women out of the corner of my eye, and without taking a step out of my path, had a short conversation with wonderful conjoined twins Abigail and Brittany Hensel, who were looking at necklaces in the costume jewelry department.


The Hensel twins are an inspiration, mainly because their very existence forces one to consider the sanctity of the soul. They've been born to a generation which, like the ones immediately preceding, is destined to make colossal decisions impacting the definition of self. The generational peers of Abby and Britty can't regard them without having their assumptions on life issues challenged to the positive. The Hensels are rare gems; how many like them have we allowed to perish, without even giving allowing them their God given right to life?

So, I'm going to delay the other cartoons I've been working on and do this piece instead. I know Abigail and Brittany like to surf the internet (God help them) and I imagine in time they'll discover this portrait. I hope they'll find it as encouraging as we find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment