Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Toon 4/13/05 Christpilot


Dan,
We have finally gotten really settled in here at Taji, Iraq and we are up and running with internet connections in our hooches. Not a bad deal. Here are a few pictures of me taken by our Public Affairs guys a month or so back and a few pictures taken by me. The one with the flares launching and the one flying over the mosque were taken by me.
Hope all is well with you.
'Christpilot'




Postscript: This is the second version of the cartoon posted. I hope you'll never see the original, and here's why-

From: Faithmouse
Date: 04/13/05 13:56:33
To: Christpilot
Subject: faithmouse, version two

Just learned that a thumbs up sign can mean 'up yours' in the Middle East.
Don't think I've ever redrawn a cartoon faster.

From: Christpilot
Date: 04/13/05 16:01:12
To: Faithmouse
Subject: faithmouse, version two

I am laughing my butt off and rolling on the floor right now. I was just looking at the one on the web page and noticed the change. But, it didn't click as to why.

Although giving the thumbs up sign in their culture is like flipping the bird, and the OK sign is calling someone a camel's butt and very offensive, most understand that culturally the thumbs up is not a bad thing for Americans. In fact, most of the people that seem to support us here will usually give us the thumbs up. So I don't think you have insulted anyone that may have seen the original version - and if they were, they need to lighten up a little.

I am on a night schedule right now and am just getting out of bed and you really started my day out right. I appreciate that...

No comments:

Post a Comment